How often are the active fire perimeters updated?
Usually once a day between 10:00-11:00am PT, but can be updated more often during the fire season.
How often are the satellite fire detections updated?
Approximately every 6 hours.
Where does Firemap get its information from?
- Fire modeling: FARSITE
- Weather stations: HPWREN, SDG&E, and MesoWest & SynopticsLabs
- Weather forecast: NOAA NWS NDFD and HRRRX
- Cameras: HPWREN, ALERTWildfire
- Historical fire perimeters: CAL FIRE FRAP Program, NIFC, USGS GeoMAC, and BLM
- Fuels and Vegetation: USGS LANDFIRE Program
- Satellite fire detections: NASA FIRMS and NOAA EOG
- Active fire perimeters: NIFC
- Smoke analysis: NOAA HMS
- Air Quality: OpenAQ
- GOES GeoColor: CIRA and RAMMB
- NASA GIBS: NASA EOSDIS
- Infrastructure: HIFLD
- WRC 2018 Housing Density:
- Scott, Joe H.; Brough, April M.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W.; Dillon, Gregory K.; Moran, Christopher. 2020. Wildfire Risk to Communities: Spatial datasets of wildfire risk for populated areas in the United States. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2020-00XX.
What software is Firemap made with?
Question not answered? Contact us here.