An inside look at FIRIS (Fire Integrated Real-time Intelligence System) with state-of-the-art infrared and high definition cameras.
- EventsDesign@Large is a speaker series hosted by The Design Lab at UC San Diego, where each quarter we examine a topic in society and the relevance and implications through the lens of human centered design. SDSC’s Ilkay Altintas will be featured as a panelist April 20, 2022.
- ArticlesMuch of what is known about planned fire comes from a burn manager’s memory. “It takes years to get that kind of experience, If things are changing, like invasive species or climate, or if you’re a new manager, you need help.”
- ArticlesScientists are using supercomputing and artificial intelligence to figure out the best way to fight the growing threat of wildfires in California.
- ArticlesImages of raging wildfires have become commonplace in California. According to fire experts, it is no longer a question of if there will be a massive forest fire but when and where it will ignite.
- ArticlesRunaway wildfires are always a possibility in the fall, when Southern California is raked by stiff Santa Ana winds that blow across the region’s ubiquitous chaparral, the most flammable mix of brush land vegetation in the country. But this fire season may bring something truly hellacious.